The National Association of School Business Management (NASBM) is the UK’s leading association for school business management professionals and uniquely dedicated to supporting and building the reputation of the profession.
NASBM aims to ensure all schools, whether primary, secondary or special, maintained, free school or academy are equipped to meet the challenges of today. As schools become more and more autonomous, head teachers now need to build leadership teams with a wide range of professional skills, both teaching and non-teaching, to ensure the best outcomes for learners and the effective and efficient use of resources. The role of the school business management practitioner is evolving and is now an integral part of senior leadership teams in many schools, with its importance only likely to grow.
What we do
Representing the interests of and building the reputation of SBM professionals
NASBM has played a key role in raising the profile of the profession and has an influential voice with government. We have a strong working relationship with the Department for Education and are a delivery partner on a number of key initiatives. We maintain our seat on key education committees and consequently provide our members with a voice and platform with government. Our strong links with local and regional SBM groups enables us to ensure that regional perspectives are represented during our meetings with government officials.
We also work with a range of other stakeholders and partners, including FASNA, NAHT, ASCL, NGA and PTA-UK, where joint activity will benefits our members and the wider profession.
Supporting members/SBM professionals to carry out their current role more effectively
We offer a comprehensive range of support, available to members and non-members, including:
- An annual National Conference, where all content is tailored specifically to the SBM professional audience
- An Advice Centre, supported by our regional team of our highly qualified and experienced Associate Practitioners
- Regional conferences and briefings where you can network with colleagues, share practice and hear about latest policy developments that affect your role
- High quality training delivered by sector experts and tailored to your needs
- Digests of the latest news and developments highlighting the implications for your role, through our fortnightly e-bulletins, news updates, policy analysis and briefings
- A resources area and library, hosting best practice templates, factsheets, practical tools and case studies
- Online forums where SBM professionals can discuss and explore the issues affecting them.
NASBM also helps SBM professionals with important procurement decisions through our Approved Partner scheme, which recognises high quality service providers.
Assisting members/SBM professionals to develop their career
NASBM is here to help SBM professionals at all stages of their career and is at the forefront of the emerging sector-led approach to professional development.
We were instrumental in the development of the national competency framework and the national qualifications framework for SBMs, which have done so much to raise the profile of and expand the skill-set of the profession.
We also work with national awarding organisations to develop accredited programmes and qualifications to meet the diverse and ever changing needs of the SBM professionals.
NASBM also provides a careers advice service with access to mentoring support from one of our Associate Practitioners. For those wishing to join the profession, we also provide a series of introductory workshops. Finally we also run a job vacancy service to help you find your first or next post.
Click here to find out more about NASBM membership categories, benefits and fees and our 'Terms and Conditions'.